The IT Wire recently posted a great story: "What your IT dept wish you knew about requesting support." It's full of tips that will help users understand the core operation of an internal Help Desk / Support department. The article is a good, straight-to-the-point read, and something perfect for passing around to any IT team. If anything, it starts to unravel some of the psychology behind what users typically try to do when submitting a request.
In summary, IT Wire's 6 tips* for users submitting support requests are:
- E-mail the support address your company issues
- Don't e-mail other addresses, even on the CC: line
- Don't address your e-mail to specific individuals
- Include a description in the subject line
- Explain what you are trying to achieve and what is happening and what you expected to happen
- Retain the automated reply you receive and reference the ticket number in it if you need to follow up.