Get Pricing For SunView Solutions

Review platform features & packaging to decide what best meets your needs.

IT Service Management

ChangeGear is an industry-leading ITSM platform that helps organizations to better track, manage, and deliver critical services.
Get Pricing

IT Operations Management

LivePulse offers out-of-the-box system and application monitoring essentials in the cloud.              
Get Pricing

4 Tips for Creating or Improving your BYOD Policy

01/16/2013 by: The SunView Team

With 95% of organizations allowing employee-owned devices in the workplace, what is the hold up for the other 5%? Well, for one thing, it's not an easy task to create one company-wide standard when there are so many different kinds of devices out there. However, if employees use their own devices for work-related purposes without a policy in place, this can lead to some serious security issues. A study of 4,000 workers conducted by Ovum, found that 80% of corporate BYOD schemes are not properly managed by IT departments. The following are four tips to help you set up or strengthen your existing BYOD policy.

Tip #1: Specify what devices are permitted

You should let employees know what exactly "bring your own device" means. Will there be restrictions on certain products and brands or does anything go? Make it clear which devices (and apps on these devices) are allowed and which are prohibited.

Tip #2: Establish a strict security policy
Are you guilty of not having a password on your phone/computer because of the extra few seconds it takes to access the device? It may be an inconvenience, but if employees want to be able to connect their devices to corporate systems with tons of sensitive information, password protection should be mandatory.

Tip #3: Explain who owns what data
If an employee stores personal information on his or her phone while on company servers, the company technically owns that data. This can become an issue if the phone is lost or stolen. Your BYOD policy should state that your company has the right to erase data from devices that access its network even if it means deleting personal pictures, music and apps. However, you probably want to avoid making employees unhappy, so explain to them how they can back up and restore their content.

Tip #4: Set up an employee exit strategy
Have you thought about what will happen when employees leave the company? How do you enforce the removal of company information, such as email access and apps, from employee devices? Have a set standard for backing up the user's personal items prior to an "exit wipe." Take the initiative to reach out to affected users to help them understand this process.

Did you find these tips helpful? Comment below with your personal BYOD policy experiences.

Flickr Image by IntelFreePress

Ready to try ChangeGear for yourself?

Get Started